Sunday, May 10, 2009

Do You Have To Write Every Day?

Mary's Office--My friends call it "the treehouse."

Greetings on this wonderful Mother's Day 2009. I spent the day with my 90-year-old mom, her 93-year-old sister, my brother, and all his family. We went to church together this morning, then had lunch at my brother's. A great time was had by all. We're a laughing, happy bunch who love to tell stories and jokes, so it's always a lot of fun. How did you spend the day?

This week I formed a friendship with DeNeen Thaxton, director of Esteem House, a non-profit, faith-based self-esteem-building program for girls in grades six through eight. What a delightful lady! And what a wonderful program she's helping to develop. I've posted a link to their brand new Web site, and I hope you'll wander over and see what these dedicated folks are doing. Let me know what you think.

Thanks to those of you who have become followers of this blog. And I hope you'll comment and interact with me often. I'd love to get to know you better. And please pass the word about the blog to your network of friends and invite them to join us. The more the merrier!

Thanks, too, to those of you who are enjoying this series of short blurbs on writing myths. I hope it's helpful.

Writing Myth#4
You Have To Write Every Day

Some writing "experts" I've heard through the years say you have to write every day at the same time in the same place to be a great writer. Trust me, some totally left-brained, rut-oriented, non-fiction-loving English professor said that, and everybody else has quoted him through the years.

It's a crock! Great writers learn to write on demand. They write when the writing needs to be written. Like me they write anytime, anywhere, and sometimes not at all.

Be realistic. Write when you think you have something worthwhile to say or to meet your deadlines or just for fun. If writing every day at the same time and in the same place works for you, then go for it. It doesn't for me. Sometimes I write in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes in the evening, or sometimes in the wee hours of the night if the muse moves me. I write in my office (see photos above), in the park, at the library, on the beach, and even driving down the road.

Bottom line: Do what works best for you. It's the only way you'll enjoy your writing for decades to come.

My thoughts,

Mary

Next time? Myth #5: Quoting Many Others Makes My Writing Better

No comments: